Germany legalised electric scooters and other LEV’s back in 2019 but the German government added a lot of requirements to the vehicle to be allowed on the public road.
Your electric scooter or LEV need to accommodate the following pre-requisites
- Steering and holding rod
- Maximum 70 centimetres wide, 1.40 metres high and 2.00 metres long.
- Permitted maximum weight: 55 kg (without rider)
- Maximum design speed of at least six to at most 20 km/h
- Power limitation to 500 watts (1,400 watts for self-balancing vehicles)
- Compliance with “driving dynamics” minimum requirements
- 3rd party liability insurance
Next to the above requirements the electric vehicles must be roadworthy, be able to brake, be controllable and have a lighting system.